Cukarica got its name after the famous "Cukareva mehana" by Stojko Cukar in 1850. The building was located across the way from today's Ada Ciganlija in Radnicka street and was the first building constructed in this part of Belgrade which was covered in fields in the 19th century. Stojko constructed the tavern in this particular location because this was where the traders, workers and tennants passed on their way to Belgrade from Obrenovac, Ub, Valjevo and Sabac and the tavern was the perfect spot for them to take a breather before going to the city.