Close
  • 011info Belgrade guide English version
  • 011info Belgrade guide

Did you know?

The tavern called "?" (Question mark) is one of the oldest establishments of that type in Belgrade. It was constructed between the years 1820 and 1823....
More details ›
Belgrade is among the first cities in the world that had a cinema, right after Paris, London, Brussels, Madrid, Vienna and Berlin. After Belgrade, the...
More details ›
The Ethnographic Mueseum has changed its location several times - it was housed in the home of Stevca Mahajlovic located in the corner of Kneza Milosa...
More details ›
The first tram in Belgrade, then pulled by horses, began trafficking on the 14th of October 1892. It went from Kalemegdan to Slavija. Before Belgrade,...
More details ›
In the corner of Simina and Kapetan Misina streets there is a corner dedicated to Salvador Dali. The plaque was set in 2006, inspired by Dali's painting...
More details ›
The "Cvetni trg" (Floral square) was known as "Cvetna pijaca" (Floral market) as of 1843 and occupied the area between the streets Kralja Milana, Njegoseva...
More details ›
The oldest cultural institution in Serbia is the public library of Serbia. It was founded in 1832 in Belgrade, in the Gligorije Vozarovic book store which...
More details ›
The first name of Nikola Pasic square was Marks and Engels square. It had this name since 1953 when it was constructed, up until 1997. 
More details ›
Terazije fountain was construted in 1860 by decree of the prince Milos Obrenovic. During the great reconstruction of Terazije in 1911 the fountain was...
More details ›
The Skadarska street is probably the only street in Belgrade which only changed its name one time. During WWI, the name of this street was changed to "Ruzina"...
More details ›
The Roman Emperor Flavius Iovianus Augustus was born in year 331, in Belgrade. (Then Singidunum)
More details ›
Shaul Ladany an Israeli Olympian and 1972 world champion in 100km walking was born in 1936 in Belgrade. 
More details ›
On the 24th of March 1988, the first McDonalds in Serbia began work. This was also the first McDonalds in the entire central-eastern and south-eastern...
More details ›
Between the year 1913 and 1940 the Terazije square was called "Prestolonaslednikov" (throne heir's) square. The name Terazije was given to the square was...
More details ›
The first IKEA store in Belgrade began work on the 27th of March in 1991. It was located in New Belgrade in the Jugopetrol building and back then it was...
More details ›
In the entrance to "Milosev konak" there is a plantan which was planted by Czech gardeners in 1830. This is one of the largest and most beautiful plantans...
More details ›
"Zeleni venac" (green wreath) was named after the tavern which used to exist where the McDonalds is located today, led by a certain German lady. Instead...
More details ›
Palilula (pali - light, lula-pipe) got its name thanks to the fact that it was used to be the only place where people could smoke pipes because this was...
More details ›
In front of the former home of the poet Djure Jaksica in Skadarlija, there is a sitting bronze monument to this artist which was construted in 1990. The...
More details ›
The first public monument in Belgrade was erected in 1848 in the current Karadjordje park. The monument was erected by Aleksandar Karadjordjevic as an...
More details ›
In November 1939 the first stop light was set up in Belgrade, at the corner of Kralja Aleksandra boulevard and Takovska street, near the main post office....
More details ›
The SKC building (Students' cultural (kulturni) center) was constructed in 1895 and was then known as the Officer's home. The Officer's home was constructed...
More details ›
The area called "Red cross" in Belgrade was named after the cross which was set here by the book-binder Grigorije Vozarevic in this location in 1847, which...
More details ›
The drinking fountain of Sokollu Mehmed Pasha or the Vizier's drinking fountain as some call it, was constructed in 1576 under the orders of the grand...
More details ›