Close
  • 011info Belgrade guide English version
  • 011info Belgrade guide

Did you know?

The old St. Mark’s church was constructed in 1835 on the foundation of the even older Palilula church and it was located precisely in the place where in...
More details ›
Zemun got its first post office building in 1780, in the same spot that it still is today, at 8 Glavna street. By the end of the 19th century, the main...
More details ›
The old Serbian National assembly in Belgrade was located on the corner of Kraljice Natalije and Kneza Milosa streets, where once stood the cinema Odeon....
More details ›
After constructing the King Alexander's bridge, Zemun was physically and administratively joint to Belgrade in 1934, with an interruption between 1941...
More details ›
With the approval of Military command, on 23rd September 1858, the two-grade lower real school (predecesor of Zemun 'gimnazija' high school). It was primarily...
More details ›
Even though it was constructed for the needs of a German Evangelical-Christian church, the building of Bitef theatre never had the status of a religious...
More details ›
During the Turkish rule, there were around 270 mosques and special Islamic prayer rooms. After Serbia gained independence in 1878, Serbia gained the...
More details ›
One of the oldest and largest beer breweries in Belgrade used to work from a building located on the corner of Cetinjska and Skadarska streets. The Bajloni...
More details ›
The first bridge in Belgrade was constructed in the Roman ages, but there's no remaining info on whether it was a wooden or a pontoon bridge. The first...
More details ›
The largest Orthodox construction in the Balkans - and one of the largest orthodox churches in the world - the St. Sava Temple is located in Belgrade....
More details ›
Before the Jevremovac botanical garden came to be, there was a smaller botanical garden in Dorcol, right next to the coast of Danube. It was founded after...
More details ›
Bezanija, the village beneath Bezanijska Kosa on the left bank of Sava, has existed under its current name since 1512 when the Turkish records noted that...
More details ›
Glavnjaca is the name for the old Belgrade city managment building which up to 1953 was located in the spot of today's Chemistry college. This building...
More details ›
According to legend, Atila was buried in Belgrade, in Great war island. The Huns allegedly dug for days in order to re-route the Sava river near her confluence...
More details ›
Nica beach was the first Belgrade sand beach. It got its name after a nearby tavern and stretched on the left bank of Sava, between Branko's and Old Sava...
More details ›
Archeological research determined that in the location of today's Student park there used to be pools of hot, warm and lukewarm water, while remnants of...
More details ›
Bulbulder is a settlement in Zvezdara. The name bulbulder comes from the Turkish word 'bulbul' - which means nightingale and 'dere' which means valley....
More details ›
The statue "Victor" was originally meant to be set up in Terazije square. However, due to the disapproval of the citizens because of the statue's nudity,...
More details ›
In the corner of Kralja Petra and Cara Lazara you can find the building of National bank of Serbia. The foundation for the building intended to become...
More details ›
Today's main street in Grocka was the route of Constantinople road which passed through this area in the 16th century and was one of the most important...
More details ›
Vracar marketplace has been in business since 1926 and it was constructed in "Kalenica guvnu" - a plot of land which was one of many foundations of the...
More details ›
In the end of 1927 one private company introduced regular bus traffic to Belgrade, using the modern buses with pneumatic tires. Passenger transportation...
More details ›
The monument to Vuk Karadzic is the work of the sculptor Djordje Jovanovic. Both the author and the Serbian Literature Association wanted to set up the...
More details ›
In the first year of the 19th century, where today we have the Nikola Pasic square, there used to be a deserted meadow across which led the Constantinople...
More details ›