Close
  • 011info Belgrade guide English version
  • 011info Belgrade guide
Weather forecast Belgrade 9℃
Variably cloudy with a chance of rain
Belgrade 5 day weather forecast
Weather forecast Belgrade 9℃
Variably cloudy with a chance of rain
Belgrade 5 day weather forecast
  • 011info Belgrade guide English version
  • 011info Belgrade guide

Did you know?

One of the first taxi drivers in Belgrade was Ivan Majer from Zemun. According to the archives from 1933, he did his work using a green "Ford". 
More details ›
The oldest Belgrade elevator is located in the building at 3 Visnjiceva street. This elevator had its own bell-boy and in 1935 it gave its first ride to...
More details ›
Thhe most important Ortodox temple of medieval Belgrade was dedicated to the Ascending of the Holy Mother of God and was located on today's elevation above...
More details ›
Around the middle of the 19th century Skadarlija was famous under the name Sican-mala, a Romani mahala with a total of 14 houses. It was a neglected, ruined,...
More details ›
The settlement Dusanovac originated at the start of the 20th century in the area covered in farming estates and on the banks of then Mokroluski stream...
More details ›
The oldest school in Belgrade is located at 7 Kralja Petra street and it began work in 1718. Over time it has changed names and went through turbulent...
More details ›
"Prinz Eugen Stadt" was the name of Belgrade during the Nazi occupation and that was the last time in history that Belgrade changed its name for its invaders.  The...
More details ›
Today's marketplace "Zelen venac" is built on sunken foundations of a theatre. There used to be a pond in that location. When it was drained, Aleksandar...
More details ›
The testing of King Alexander's bridge was done by having the cavalry unit of 700 cavalrymen ride through it. A day earlier the endurance of the new bridge...
More details ›
On the spot where the Monument of gratitude to France has stood since 1913, there was originally a Monument of gratitude to Karadjordje. The monument dedicated...
More details ›
The restaurant "Grcka kraljica" (Greek queen) began working as a tavern in 1835 and is the oldest building in Belgrade that was preserved in its original...
More details ›
According to some sources, Knez Mihailova was the first street of Belgrade to get an official name. The city managment in 1870's Belgrade made that decision....
More details ›
Kosutnjak is the name for the forest and settlement in Belgrade in the city districts Cukarica and Rakovica. Kosutnjak got its name for the ewes that used...
More details ›
In the place of today's VMA institution there used to be the first airport in Belgrade. It was constructed at the end of 1910 in a military polygon in...
More details ›
On top of a hill that used to be known as Great Vracar, an astronomical observatory with an astrarium was constructed in 1887. Later this neighborhood...
More details ›
The shortest street in Stari grad district is Delijska street. A small side street between today's Vuka Karadzica and Uskocka street. Its name, after the...
More details ›
Jan Fleming named his famous character, agent James Bond, inspired by the stories his colleague Dusan Popov. He claimed that he remembers day and night...
More details ›
The first pharmacy in Belgrade began work on 30th of April 1830 was the Matej Ivanovic pharmacy located on the upper side of the legendary "?" tavern across...
More details ›
The oldest tale about how Vracar got its name is from 1521. It says that the neighborhood got its name after a hero whose name was Vracar and who lived...
More details ›
Cukarica got its name after the famous "Cukareva mehana" by Stojko Cukar in 1850. The building was located across the way from today's Ada Ciganlija in...
More details ›
The word "Bezistan" is of Ottoman origina and signifies the spot where the trading house at a bazaar is located, mostly constructed with stone and covered...
More details ›
In Republic square after WWII there was a square with a tomb and the monument to Red Army fighters who died while liberating Belgrade in 1944. The tomb...
More details ›
"Topcider" in Turkish means "cannon valley". This is the place where the Turks began to cast cannons for attacking the fortified Belgrade in 1521. Prince...
More details ›
The word Tasmajdan comes from the Turkish words "tas" meaning "stone" and "majdan" meaning "mine". This isn't the stone quarry from which Belgrade was...
More details ›