Close
  • 011info Belgrade guide English version
  • 011info Belgrade guide

Did you know?

To honor Lazar Herbeljanovic, the settlement "Lazarevac" was named after him in 1889. However, there are differring opinions on how this town got its...
More details ›
The first soccer match in Belgrade took place in 1896 in Lowtown near the Nebojsa tower. A Jewish man by the name of Hugo Buli upon his return from studying...
More details ›
On Tasmajdan, there is a cave 28m directly under the church of St. Mark. In its depts there is a Nazi hideout, a quarry and a saltpepper cave that served...
More details ›
Avala tower was constructed in 1965 after the project by Uros Bogunovic and Slobodan Janjic. It was destroyed in the NATO bombing on 29th April 1999 and...
More details ›
The name New Belgrade was first mentioned in 1924 when Petar Kokotovic, a farmer from Bezanija, started the tavern "Novi Beograde" in the street Tosin...
More details ›
Srpska akademija nauka i umetnosti osnovana je 1. novembra 1886. godine. Osnovana je na tradicijama Društva srpske slovesnosti (1841-1864) i Srpskog učenog...
More details ›
The first underground passageway street crossing in Belgrade was built in New Belgrade, block 21, under Lenjin’s Boulevard (today called Mihajla Pupina...
More details ›
The large gunpowder storage, the popular “Barutana” is an artificial cave that was dug out at the start of the 18th century. The digging was done through...
More details ›
Kalenic, Bajloni and Cvetkova marketplaces got their names after wealthy Belgraders who gifted their estates to their city.
More details ›
It is believed that the first billiards table in Serbia was located in the tavern "Question mark".
More details ›
Prečnik Rimskog bunara iznosi 3.40 metara a njegova dubina je oko 51 metar (dno bunara je niže od dna reke Save). Niz dva spiralna stepeništa, od kojih...
More details ›
The National theatre in Belgrade began work in 1868. The first play "Djuradj Brankovic" by Karoli Obernjak was held (according to the new calendar) on...
More details ›
In the age of Celts and Romans, Zemun was called Taurunum. Its name today is linked to the arrival of Slovenian tribes around 6th century. It is believed...
More details ›
"Albanija" palace was the first skyscraper in Belgrade. It has 13 floors above ground and 4 floors below and is about 53m tall with an overall surface...
More details ›
The entire western part of Terazije used to be called 'Savamala' and the whole area was also known as west Vracar. Today only the area around Karadjordjeva...
More details ›
Before being transferred to Kralja Petra street in August 1954, the perfume shop “Sava” was located in Toplicin venac under the name “L’amour”. Perfume...
More details ›
The statue of Josif Pancic located in the Student park is the work of sculptor Djordje Jovanovic. It was the first public monument made by this artist...
More details ›
In Takovska street  there used to be a swimming pool that the Germans built during their occupation of Belgrade. Its original use was for fire prevention,...
More details ›
Stambol gate used to be located between today’s National theatre and the monument to knez Mihailo. There were three entrances through the Stambol gate...
More details ›
The monument to Dositej Obradovic was first positioned at the entrance to Kalemegdan, on a square in front of the "Srpska kruna" hotel, which is today...
More details ›
The first supermarket in Serbia began work in 1958 in Belgrade, on the Flower square, only a few years after the first supermarket in South-East Europe...
More details ›
The "Damad Ali-pasha's turbe" in the upper town Belgrade fort is one of the rare remaining Turkish buildings in Belgrade. It was constructed in 1784 above...
More details ›
According to folk tales, the name "Karaburma" originated from the Turkish words "kara" meaning "black" and "burma" meaning "wedding band", and the reason...
More details ›
The traces of the oldest settlement in Zemun were uncovered in Gardos, the location fo today's cemetary. The first inhabitants of Zemun founded their...
More details ›